Reeds 201 Advanced Workshop
Reeds 101 Momentum Equity Trading is a prerequisite to join this course. If you took 101 in 2018 or 2019 contact us for admittance at email@example.com
We can help you live by the motto...Financially Sound / Financially Free
The REED$TRADER System is composed of a series of systems and indicators that can be adapted to fit anyone’s investment objectives. It is intended to be flexible and can be used to trade in any market environment including the volatile market we are currently seeing.
Out of stock
Stay tuned for future dates.
Are You Stressed Right Now??
- Have the last few weeks caused you to feel continual stress as the market sells off day after day after day?
- Are you at the point where you want to turn off the news and not look at your account because you can’t bear to see further losses?
- Do you wish you could find some way to get your investment portfolio back on track?
We can remove your stress and put your account back on track!
"And our Supply Index, which was divergent at the February highs in the S&P, today signaled a potential uptrend by breaking above the May 2019 highs today in a bear market signal. The mechanical strategy is already sidelined from our other defenses"—Comment from February 27, 2020 issue of REED$TRADER DAILY COMMENTARY
How much money would you have saved if you were completely out of stocks on February 24th?
"One of the great advantages of internals is that they force you to focus on what investors are doing and not on what they are saying. Our short-term trigger point of 70% down-volume accompanied by 5 distribution days came on Feb 21 just two days after the all-time highs on the S&P, with our Bear Market signal coming just three days later. Since that first warning day, we have had eight 90% down-days and three 80% down-days over the next eighteen trading days for the largest conflagration of these intense one-sided selling panic sessions in market history, including the crash of 1929, the two months of meltdown into the Oct-Nov 2008 momentum bottom of the GFC, and even the 1987 crash."—Comment from March 23, 2020 issue of REED$TRADER DAILY COMMENTARY
Now Available Via Recording
Recordings: Students will have access to workshop recordings and additional free resources for 30 days. You must sign up for these resources within the two weeks following the workshop. You will then receive a link to access the recordings and all additional materials.
A message from Chuck Whitman of Reedstrader:
Our System is called the REED$TRADER System because it is intended to be a flexible system used to read the market.
The system can be used to trade in any market environment including the volatile market we are currently seeing.
Historically, our system has had some of its best years in down years for the stock market.
During the financial crisis, REED$TRADER Mechanical System made 55% in 2007 and 73% in 2008. The reason we had these returns is that we trade BOTH Long and Short. We currently are sitting in 100% cash waiting to deploy shorts on the next rally. As a result, our system can help build your portfolio consistently over time regardless of the market environment!!!
Our REED$TRADER System is composed of a series of systems and indicators that can be adapted to fit anyone's investment objectives. "Let us show you the path!"
In order to take Reeds 201 you must take 101 as this course builds upon the information which will not be repeated in 201. Learn more HERE.
Next step to grow your REED$TRADER skills!! Learn how to hold top positions for long term trades. Learn how to reduce your risk by incorporating more stringent scanning and trading rules.
This momentum trading system begins with the Reedstrader Mechanical System, a rules-based, mechanical trading system for use on stocks and ETFs, and expands the toolset to high-powered discretionary trading. The information in this advanced class can be learned by novices who understand the Basic Reedstrader Mechanical System, as well as experienced professionals and Van Tharp students looking to add a defendable edge to their trading process. The system can help you generate larger gains regardless of your trading performance so far.
For those who went through the Reedstrader 201 workshops in February 2019, the Reedstrader 201 Workshop will have 2 new versions of the Reedstrader System that will be taught along with new information on the system. The Reeds system is appropriate for novice and expert alike. All students will come away with a high-powered trading system that can be used in any kind of account.
Five important aspects of Reedstrader 201 that are not covered in the Reedstrader 101:
1) Mark’s longer-term models called “Slow Reeds”. These rules create a trading system with very little work involved, long holding times and high R-multiple returns.
2) Mark’s “Slow Reeds” method allows for (1) Lower turnover, (2) Less management time, (3) adaptation to retirement accounts such as 401(k) or IRA accounts.
3) Introduction of Mark’s Runaway Patterns that can be used to improve the reliability of signals and for short term trading
4) Chuck’s WAM Relative Strength concept that is fantastic in combination with Reeds signals to improve performance and reduce drawdown. WAM Relative Strength plays a key role in making sure you are always long the strongest stocks and short the weakest stocks.
5) Chuck’s Market Profile Patterns that combined with Reeds signals, create low-risk, high reward trades. Understanding Profile is a key aspect of increasing your understanding of market behavior.
- Learn “Slow” REED$ Method – Long term Signals that can be held for multiple months
- Learn WAM Relative Strength – Relative Strength that is applicable to any asset class to improve performance and reduce drawdown
- 90/90 – 10/10 Mechanical System – Relative Strength combination system that reduces drawdowns while being invested in top long and short names
- Runaway Patterns and Volume Traction
- Correction over signals and how to integrate with “Slow” REED$
- How to pick top names when correction over signal is provided
- ADX – How to use ADX to identify market environments and extremes in trend expansion and contraction
- Value Areas – How to use Market Profile Value Areas to support top trending stocks
This course also includes:
- Mark’s proven tools for analyzing the market
- Chuck Whitman’s explanation of WAM Relative Strength and how it is used to improve on the Reedstrader Mechanical System
- Mark’s Long-term and Runaway pattern analysis technique
- Lower Turnover, less management time
- More scalability
- Ideal for retirement accounts
- Mark’s correction-over identification tools and methods
- Mark’s vehicle and sector selection methods putting patterns and timing together
- Mark’s Longer-Term models for high R-multiple returns
- Chuck’s implementation of Value Area Patterns that improve the performance of REED$TRADER System.
Learn Discretionary tools that will reduce Strategy draw-downs, improve returns, increase scale and offer more trade alternatives
Framework for compiling a discretionary trading plan OR implementing new Systems that can enhance the REED$TRADER Mechanical System’s market edge.
Following Reedstrader 201 you have these two workshops which are related. However, do not have prerequisites
REED$TRADER Stock Market Timing Workshop: Reading Market Internals to Improve Market Timing Now you understand how to find top stocks, it's time to pair them up with how to read the market! Stock Market Timing workshop teaches you how to pair your stock list with the market to reduce your risk and produce outsized returns!!
REED$TRADER Options Workshop: Using Options to Turbocharge Returns on Momentum Stocks The final step to take your Reward/Risk profile to the next level. We will learn simple option strategies that take advantage of the edges embedded in the REED$TRADER method that can substantially reduce risk and turbocharger your returns!!
In all, there are FOUR workshops in a short period of time. Take it as far as you need to meet your objectives. If you are new, these 4 workshops build on one another. If you are experienced, then Stock Market Timing and Options on Momentum Stocks will take your trading to another level!!
"As followers of Dr. Tharp, you know the 5 Components of Trading: Psychology, Position Sizing, Market and Strategy Selection, Exits and Entries. My name is Chuck Whitman. I am one of the first students of Van's Super Trader program. I have talked and worked with many of Van's Super Traders. Market and Strategy selection is the area where I see many traders struggle.
I BELIEVE THIS IS THE BIGGEST AREA WHERE IMPROVED GAINS CAN BE FOUND.
- 1-month subscription ($123 value) to the Portfolio Strategy Letter (PSL). PSL is a monthly subscription service composed of several different asset class investing models. Every month, these different models are updated along with commentary surrounding that specific asset class. Strategies include the High Yield Strategy which has returned 10% per year with a maximum drawdown of 12% and never had a losing year in 27 years. PSL is $495/year
- 1-month subscription to REED$TRADER DAILY COMMENTARY ($399 value). REED$TRADER DAILY COMMENTARY is a daily service that gives updates on stock market internals (taught in Stock Market Timing Workshop), overall market context, daily updates of what happened in the market, daily updating of the Reed’s long and short candidates, daily updates to our BO and Run Momentum List, and MUCH more. You will have to see it to believe it!! REED$TRADER is an institutional quality newsletter that would typically sell for $5k-$10k per year.
- Access to the REED$TRADER 101 Webinar Recordings for 30 days after the workshop ($495). You can watch the latest REED$TRADER 101 Workshop for review. You can also gain access to all the free resources including the updated track record!
- Access to the REED$TRADER 201 Webinar Recordings for 30 days after the workshop ($1995). That means you can watch the REED$TRADER 201 workshop over and over again!!
- REED$TRADER 101 Manual ($495)– Detailed 125-page manual to support the webinar that is full of functional details to make sure you understand all aspects of the strategy including execution, vocabulary for certain terms, supporting articles, etc.
- Access to the indicators taught in REED$TRADER 201 via Tradestation and NinjaTrader for free for a limited time.
REED$TRADER Student Testimonials!
“One Part of the report is the Mechanical Reeds Strategy. This is a relatively simple strategy that can be executed in about 5 minutes a day using EOD order entries. This to me is quite appealing for those that can’t be in front of the screen when the market opens and still want to be able to manage their own money. The nice part about the mechanical strategy is that it doesn’t consume much mental capital and tells you when to get in and when to get out. This system has been running for many years and the system’s performance is remarkable. So far this year it has been outperforming the S&P which is what the system has been designed to do.” — Dominic Boire, Van Tharp SuperTrader Student (firstname.lastname@example.org)
“I thoroughly enjoyed and thought the course taught by Mark & Chuck was worth many times the cost of the couple days. I could take any of the multiple sessions & state the value of the course was well worth any one of them alone. Chuck & Mark balance each other out and both have tremendous knowledge of the markets. My favorite part of the course was Chuck’s session when he went through Market Profile, it alone was worth the price of admission. Overall, I highly recommend attending this course!" —R. Wize, VTI customer.
“I have learned a tremendous amount from Reedstrader with so much more to learn. Thank you for all your hard work and willingness to share your knowledge with others. With every other subscription, I've felt as though they were just doing it for the guaranteed income and holding key pieces back. I don't have that same feeling with Reedstrader.”—Rui Luo Van Tharp SuperTrader Student
“In December you explained how to hedge with vix. In Mark's newsletters and updates he also discussed this aspect of portfolio management. I was a bit nervous about the repo thing in December. As a result, I bought a hedge using the guidelines you presented. This hedge was a reasonable cost for the protection it offered in spite of the event not happening. As a result – I’ve stopped selling puts as I could sense the market type was changing. I tightened up stops on holdings I had and got stopped out at 1R for a few things I added in the short term here. The best thing I did by far was to hedge what I had open and put on a very affordable position to do that (VIXY). This position is still open now and has a 7R stop of protected profit. In general, as my open positions were stopped out, I was able to trail this profitable position. It’s a nice start for me in 2020 here, to be out of the way of this correction. Now I am in an excellent position to rebuild my cash accounts and my retirement accounts following Yours and Mark’s principles.”—Tom Osborne, SuperTrader Student
The Reedstrader System courses will be taught by both Chuck Whitman as well as Mark Boucher. These are low-cost workshops offered for the Van Tharp community.
The Reedstrader System has deep research behind it and a long-standing track record. The research suggests that the benefits of this system are not fleeting, and the track record shows that this edge is likely to endure in the marketplace. Components of the strategy have been traded by these traders in real-time for market-beating profits for decades.
If learning a massive edge that has shown 40%+ annual profits over a decade via a mechanical strategy could improve your trading, then you likely can’t afford to miss these courses. They are hands-on, practical, and built to help you emerge from the class with trade-ready strategies in hand.
I have been involved in trading since I was 14 years old. I have been a successful options trader, spreader, trading educator, CEO, Macro trader, and Asset Manager.
I have a broad array of experience and skills that I have developed over the years. I’ve traded by myself, with others, with small amounts of money, and with very large amounts of money. Over the years I’ve traded every asset class and I trained traders to trade in many different styles.
However, even with all the knowledge, I have accumulated over the years, I can say the market selection aspect has been the most challenging. I struggled to sort through a world of many opportunities to find the BEST opportunities. Mark Boucher played an instrumental role for me in solving this issue.
Mark was the first to show me the power of combining fundamental research (Mark calls this fundamental fuel) with technical models. Mark demonstrated to me that the best trends all had fundamental fuel behind them. This fundamental fuel created trends that were longer and had fewer corrections and more shallow corrections than typical trends.
Mark showed me how to scan for top fundamental fuel in stocks. Once I had the list of top fundamental names, I could then put them through scans of technical criteria and I had the confidence to know that I could purse trading these names with lower risk than the patterns alone.
This method that Mark uses is called REEDS. I convinced Mark that this strategy was so powerful and simple that we could help people to have greater clarity on what to trade as a result. He has agreed to be a co-presenter with me in this workshop. I’m excited to introduce Mark to the Van Tharp community.
My name is Mark Boucher. I have been a trader and fund manager for over 30 years. During that time I have been an active trader and investor in all asset classes including Equities, Fixed Income, FX, Commodities, Real Estate, corporate debt, and structured notes.
When I was nine years old my Dad passed away at a young age. I was given a trust of stocks to fund my college education. The trust was managed by a bank, but it began managing the money right as the Bear Market of the 70’s hit and my portfolio was cut by 80%. I learned at a young age the power of drawdowns when I was left without enough money to pay for my college education. As a result, I started trading stocks when I was 16 years old to support myself through college.
During my time trading stocks, I have always noticed the challenges posed by the volatility in stocks and investing in stocks that don’t move. To be a successful investor, we must generate strong annual COMPOUNDED returns. This means controlling our drawdowns in addition to generating gains annually. The evolution of my stock trading has included a multi-faceted approach that seeks to optimize capital, improve selectivity, focusing on vehicles that are actively trending, and minimizing drawdowns. My methods have undergone years of refinement and now produce exceptional returns.
We’ve been publishing our list of Top EPS/RS low PEG stocks each month since 1992 and the overall list has demonstrated consistent outperformance in good markets and bad. And our list of Bottom EPS/RS high PEG stocks has shown consistent underperformance for potential short-hedging during this period too. But in the last decade, I’ve discovered new ways to cull this list down to a handful of top performers within the list itself, as well as how to rotate to only those stocks among the top tier that also meet technical criteria that really pulls this together and boosts performance consistently.
I’ve also improved how and when to use short-hedging to profit from bear markets, but not negatively impact performance at other times – and this combination I call the REEDS strategy that has never been revealed before. I’m eager to introduce this to the Van Tharp community.
|Workshops By Month||January|
|Workshops By Location||Live-Streaming|
What: Back by popular demand, VTI is partnering with Chuck Whitman's new education company and their team has the experience to bring this option to you!
Cost: The price for the live stream option represents a discount to you because you don't have to travel to North Carolina. But, if you want to ensure you get the best possible interactions, questions, and so forth, then attending in person can't be matched.
Can I ask Questions: With all that as qualification, Chuck and Mark will be taking chat and email questions and incorporating them into the presentation.
Can't Watch Live: Students will have access to workshop recordings and additional free resources for 30 days. You must sign up for these resources within the two weeks following the workshop. You will then receive a link to access the recordings and all additional materials.
Rules of the System: The information will be concretely beneficial. Chuck and Mark explain that the REEDS system will be fully mechanical (meaning objectively verifiable and easy-to-follow) and they claim that those rules all by themselves are responsible for double-digit gains for nearly two decades of performance. So even if all you could do was hear the rules of the system it will be valuable.
Is there an upsell: The system does not require additional purchases to run, it is a position-trading, low maintenance system that can be operated from anywhere in the world. It is based on the idea of U.S. Stocks, but the principles used in working with these stocks may be applicable to other markets (Australia, UK, or Germany) depending on the information available from the companies selected. No back-testing has been done on those markets to know for certain what the returns would be, but from the principals involved, students will be able to see for themselves why the system is likely to be transferable--largely because it is based heavily on relative value strength.
Value: Chuck and Mark are trading-education customers themselves. They know what it is like to pay for and attend one of these workshops, so they are striving to make sure the customer feels they are getting great value for what they pay. We also have engaged a team of e-learning and live stream specialists to make certain that this course is not merely a camera in the back of the room. The experience will be significantly better than what you might have experienced elsewhere.
When is it Available: The recorded course material is being produced in real-time, so we anticipate that it should be available almost immediately after each session is complete (as a series of unedited sessions), and these recordings will be available for 30 days afterward.
Are Reeds systems beneficial for those trading in markets outside of The U.S.? Yes, we have had many international students take the Reeds system courses, so the techniques are applicable across markets. Our students have given us great feedback on these simple yet effective systems. If you have specific questions about your fit for these courses let us know at email@example.com and we can consult with instructors.
Can the WAM relative strengths be calculated for Australian stocks? Yes, Chuck explains how he calculates that value in his course and it could be applied to any set of symbols for which you can get data.